Friday 12 March 2010

Stand up and deliver

I have a great love of stand up comedy and have been to several live shows in various size venues, and it is, if i am honest the one thing i really, really would like to try.  Some people say they would to love to try a bungee jump or sky dive but for me, to perform live stand up would truly be fulfilling a lifelong ambition. i love the idea of telling stories to get a reaction and to leave yourself completely vunerable and wide open to a room full of strangers!

I dont think i ever will fulfill the ambition because a) i just cannot see myself actually being able to do it, b) i am not anywhere near funny enough, and what i think is funny in my head certainly isnt on paper or when shared with others, c) living in thanet is not a great place to launch such a career as there is nowhere to ply your trade.

of my favourite live comedy shows, i think Rob Brydon at Margate Winter Gardens reigns supreme, he is a true comic genius and a proper showman.  I have quite a few live dvd's too and i will always watch them once for the laughs and then watch them again to study the performer and the way they present thier art, all the time picking up ideas and tips, although just storing them in my mind.

I have a book too, essentially it is a text book and it covers the theory to writing and performing comedy, i have also looked into a course associated to the book, designed  to teach you the industry, it is, unsurprisingly in London, and over weekends, and also its expensive, so due to finances and work it is not practial for me, but i suppose if i could get a mon-fri job and save some bonus pennies, i might give it a go!

No comments:

Post a Comment