Wednesday 21 April 2010

Having a laugh!

So where was I?

The Soho Ho Comedy club was like I said a great little venue, it is in a basement and the building is officially called the Arts Theatre Club.  It is located on Frith Street in the heart of Soho and is at street level, just a bright red front door, a bit like Notting Hill.

It is incredibly relaxed, although we had pre booked tickets, the seats were jsut a handful of kitchen stools of varying heights scattered about, almost neatly.  The stage in the corner of the room was about 3 inches high and the comedians had to come from behind the bar, through the crowd (100 people in a small room is definately a crowd) and do their thing.

The first comedian and the nights compere was a bloke called Simon Happily, he was gay, he was angry, he abused audience members ineffectively and for no reason, and he was terrible.  He was of course on stage in a London comedy club, whereas I am sat at home blogging about how i would like to be and so he deserves credit for that, but I thought he could have done so much better than obvious gay references and innuendos and I was surprised he was the compere.

Next was someone called Nick Doody, and at the time I thought he was really good, but now I dont remeber much about his act, he was middle aged and liked to rant, the sort of comnedy i like, a bit like Rhod Gilbert, but not as polished.

Next was a bizzare act, Henning When, a german stand up.  His act was based around the differences in German and English cultures and then he sung a German folk song and explained the lyrics. I had seen him once previoulsy on TV on a "Edinburgh and Beyond" sort of programme, it was hosted by Al Murray, Henning's act was virtually the same on both occassions. He was quite funny but I would not have been surprised to find out he is not actually German and it was just an act.  I also had the tune to his folk song in my head for about 4 days after, this annoyed me.

Finally was Will Smith, a posh white bloke, not a hollywood superstar, you can probably guess what his first joke was!  He has played the Royal Variety Performance and he was clearly the most experienced, and most comfortable performer and was playing such a venue to try out new material and presumably to get paid!  I would recommend checking out his website  and if you get the chance check him out live!

Maybe one day someone will be blogging about my performance at Soho Ho, or maybe not!

No comments:

Post a Comment