Monday 15 February 2010

Light Up Light Up!

Well, here is that all important 2nd post. I am sure Adem will be relieved to see this!

I don't really have any regular hobbies, especially now that we have an 8 month old daughter, and I hope this blog will go some way to fill this void, but I do sometimes get almost obsessed by things!

My latest obsession is an electric meter sent to me from British Gas. If I am honest I only ordered it because it was a cool looking new gadget but it is beginning to take over our daily routine!

I am forever going round the house switching off lights and unplugging chargers and making sure things are not on stand by to try and get the dial on the display to drop a few notches! I guess in a way this is a good thing as in the long run it is saving me money (although I expect pence rather than pounds) and we should of course all be doing our bit for the environment, but really it is just a bit of a game.

The other day I came in from work and the dial was reading 16.5 kwh (Kilowatt Hours, dunnno what that means!), this was well above the 10.5kwh target I had set ourselves and the dial was flashing vigorously in its on digital disapproving way!

My intention is to drop the target once we consistently stay below it to see how little electricity we actually can get away with using, in reality, I will probably unplug the meter (oh yeas it is mains powered ironically!) to plug in the slow cooker, pop the meter in the drawer and forget it ever existed!

1 comment:

  1. I wanted to buy an OWL unit but they're £30 which kinda means I'm not sving money, but I guess it's a one off so will get one soon. They're also battery powered so no need to plug them in.

    Reasonably the only thing taking power during the day should be the fridge-freezer and it'll be interesting to see if anything else is using electricity without me knowing.

    ReplyDelete